Bigfoot Services Limited can offer this RGS certificated course for small private groups on request.
This course is a must for those involved in planned visits in the UK or overseas. Spread over two days, it offers an in depth look at the safety management issues involved in planning, managing and evaluating local visits, field-trips, residentials and exchanges.
The course is particularly relevant for educational visit coordinators, teachers, youth leaders and university lecturers – anyone responsible for off-site visits within their organisation.
- The OSSM was designed in response to concerns about safety in off-site activities.
- It addresses the content of legislation in this area and provides an opportunity for attendees to explore the application of the legislation in practical situations.
- The OSSM course will be appropriate for those working in a range of different situations where they are responsible for taking children/young people/adults out of their everyday environments (e.g. on geography or environmental field trips, on sporting away events, on organised activities).
- It aims to equip attendees with the ability to apply knowledge, understanding and problem solving skills in a range of contexts.
- To develop knowledge and understanding of off-site safety management procedures and the ability to apply this to a range of different contexts.
- To develop ability to plan, manage and evaluate off-site activities in order to ensure the safety of the participants.
- To develop skills that are relevant to the workplace and which can be adapted to meet different circumstances
- To encourage further study and promote the value of continuing professional development.
- The scheme is designed for adults working with both young people and adults where they will be required to plan, manage and evaluate off-site safety policies, procedures and activities.
- It will be particularly appropriate for teachers, lecturers, trainers and youth workers who are seeking to develop their knowledge and skills in off-site safety management.
- It is also relevant to those who work in organisations seeking compliance with the new British Standard, BS 8848:2014 the specification for the provision of visits, fieldwork, expeditions, and adventurous activities, outside the United Kingdom.
- Although there are no formal entry requirements in terms of prior learning, attendees may find it helpful to draw on previous knowledge and experience of managing safety issues in the workplace.
- Basic understanding of planning processes and risk assessment and safety management may also provide useful starting points.