A two day course (16 hours). The travel and expedition first aid course is designed to introduce a systematic way of advanced first aid for managing casualties. Topic learning and practicals intermixed with scenarios of real situations. The course includes:
- Development of skills gained at emergency level
- In-depth review of emergency care topics
- Advanced techniques • skills • development
- Review of special interest topics by the candidates
First aid training with the REC scheme is easy and fun. The course is progressive by building on each session, introducing new scenarios to test all techniques for:
- Environment: hazards • cold • heat • chemicals • poisons • light • toxic substances
- Escort: vital signs • psychological • monitor • fluids • stretcher • splints • pain control
- Illness: chest pain • stroke • asthma • epilepsy • diabetes • poisons • hyperventilation • mental
- Scenarios: triage • incident management • emergency plans • action cards
- Travel: dislocations • wound management • tropical diseases • gastric illnesses • altitude (+ PAC)
Travel first aid is assessed by observation of practical skills throughout the course and written assignments
All lay candidates will have completed a previous 16 hour REC First Aid course
- Will be able to take control of an incident and direct standard First Aiders
- Will be able to deal with more complex problems and use advanced methods
The Travel & Expedition First Aid course is certified for three years
REC L5 TRAVEL + EXPEDITION FIRST AID
I recently undertook a Rescue Emergency Care (REC) Level 5 – Travel & Expedition First Aid Course with Alan Ward of Bigfoot Services Limited. The course was excellent and Alan’s expedition knowledge and experience was an extremely welcome addition and made the course very realistic and practical.
If you work in more remote environments or overseas then this course will undoubtedly prepare you to prevent, manage and deal with incidents in remote locations.
REC L4 EXPEDITION FIRST AID
I attended Alan’s L4 REC course and was thoroughly happy with the course. As well as refreshing the basics in first aid the course explores illness and importantly for us altitude sickness. As outdoor business owners the information regarding British Standards was also very helpful and gave us insight as to how to improve the integrity of our business. Handouts and supporting material were excellent and I loved receiving a free book on wilderness medicine.
I can totally recommend Alan and the courses he delivers and will be back in future for additional training.