With the next financial year about to start, it will be my last working year as I am due to retire on March 31st, 2021. My activities both in the UK and Indonesia and elsewhere are obviously on hold but I’m being positive that later in the year things will get back to normal. So, how am I filling in my time as an International Mountain Leader? Currently:
1. I’ve updated my Mountain Training DLOG which is my electronic log book of my mountain activities. I am also reviewing all my risk assessments, lesson plans and Powerpoint presentations for my Mountain Training (HS/MS/LL/HML/EXPED SKILLS) and REC (L5 TRAVEL & EXPEDITION FIRST AID) courses.
2. Liaising with clients who had booked on training courses which have been cancelled. Anyone who has paid for a course has been offered a full refund or be re-scheduled onto a course later in the year. I have offered my HML candidates the opportunity that I am willing to review their DLOGs and set action plans if required. I have also set up a Facebook group (2020 BIGFOOT HML) to assist with liaising with clients and providing any support they might need.
3. Planning routes for a 3-day walking event based at the Wigwam Pods Hafren at Staylittle in partnership with Helen Menhinick of Bryn Walking.
4. Planning walks in mid-Wales which will include some longer overnight walks as an introduction for my HML candidates and friends to tackle longer routes with a wild camp included.
5. Organising the Shams Valley Trek in Ladakh for next March as a gentle introduction to higher altitude trekking. This will be limited to 12 participants and the itinerary is available on request.
6. Researching the Croatia Way for my post-retirement activity programme later in 2021.
NOTE: expressions of interest in any of the above can be made using the Contact Form on www.bigfootservices.co.uk