April 13th – This REC certificated training workshop is certificated by Rescue Emergency Care and was attended by 16 participants yesterday as part of their training for an Everest Base Camp Trek in November.
HIGH ALTITUDE FIRST AID
A 4 hour course. The High Altitude First Aid course is designed to complement the REC L2 Emergency Outdoor First Aid course for those travelling to higher altitudes. Topic learning and practical demonstration with the Portable Altitude Chamber (PAC) are included in this course.
First aid training with the REC scheme is easy and fun. The course is progressive by building on each session and includes:
- What is High Altitude Sickness
- Forms of High Altitude Sickness
- High Altitude: Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS)
- High Altitude: Pulmonary Edema (HAPE)
- High Altitude: Cerebral Edema (HACE)
- Diamox & Dexamethasone Use and Dosage
- Altitude Oxygen
- Hyperbaric Chamber (PAC or Gamow Bag)
The Candidates will gain knowledge and experience of the first steps in first aid which might be required at higher altitudes.
- The High Altitude first aid course is certified for three years.